Skip to main content


You know how there are movies that you want to see, but you aren't sure if it will be worth it to pay money for curiosity's sake? After much interest, I finally was able to watch The Nativity Story, which tells the story from the point when an angel visits Mary to bring her the news that she is with child to Jesus' birth. It does assume some of the character's feelings, but they were not too extreme and probably safe assumptions. For example, Mary and Joseph share that they both fear what lies ahead for them carrying this child, but, yet, the honor that they feel is obvious. What I really liked most about the movie were a lot of the culture aspects that you have to study beyond The Bible to know. To see a very pregnant woman on a donkey was painful! However, the traveling to Bethlehem had to have been a difficult journey for Mary. Also, the wisemen journeying and the king's quest for full power were connected in the story too.

I would definitely recommend this as a good watch and a sweet reminder of how our Savior came to us. He lowered himself to be a human, and when he came, all who heard of him either feared him or came to worship him.

post signature

Comments

  1. I saw it when it first came out. It was nice to see

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am feeling bad, because I don't think I have ever commented before! But, I do read and enjoy your blog. I have actually thought of you several times in the past few days, as my son has discovered the Wiggles. I am sure you have already heard about this, but just in case, there is an episode called Wiggle Bay and there is a mermaid named Magdalena! It made me smile and think of your sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, loved this movie! Interestingly, one of my all -time favorite movies also stars this sweet actress. She won an Oscar for her role in "Whale Rider".

    I hope you have time to find and watch it. The story is about a New Zealand tribe waiting for a "savior". I found a tremendous amount of symbolism in it. Would love to talk about it with you Julie if/when you have the opportunity to watch it.

    You are correct in saying how important understanding the culture of the day is for us to really "get" it. To be unmarried and pregnant in that day was scandalous and both Mary and Joseph had to trust God totally to be able to face the community. And what joy and what horrible sorrow Mary faced. One of my favorite verses is Mary's reply to the angel, "I am the Lord's servant. May it be to me as you have said." Luke 1:38

    Enjoying your blog very much, Julie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this when it first came out. I was so stressed that year and Christmas was so miserable. When I saw this I was blessed beyond words and realized the true meaning of the season once again. It has a profound impact on me. We have the dvd ans watch it every year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Magdalena Grace Roberts

This morning Magdalena left this world to be with Jesus. There really isn't too much else I can say but to please pray for Julie and Noah. For now, they do not want any calls, emails or visits. I will you keep you updated on the arrangements.

Hello World!!

Here are my first pictures! Julie is on her way to the room and doing great. As we have more pictures, I will get them up for you to see. Stephen

Making the Decision to Not Make the Decision

I get the question, "Are you going to have any more kids?" asked often. Since finding out Magdalena's diagnosis it was always a tough question to answer. We had always envisioned ourselves with multiple children, but there was always the lingering thought of having to endure this difficult situation again. Although it is less than a one percent chance that we would have another child with T18, the percentage still exists. When pregnant, I said multiple times that I couldn't do this again and my mom constantly reminded me that it is not always that difficult. Being pregnant was physically uncomfortable, but I was referring to the constant emotional exhaustion. As Magdalena continued to do well, Noah and I weren't sure when to begin thinking about other children. Noah and I discussed that I would work really hard at losing my weight, but I was willing to be five pounds more than what I was originally. People poked fun at my not eating Magdalena's birthday cakes