Skip to main content

Birthday Fun!!

We celebrated my mom's birthday with a few of the girls going to get pedicures, and then, we returned to Noah's fabulous grilled hamburgers! Yummy! This isn't her official celebrations, so no gifts were given, but we did have a fun time! Also, it isn't a birthday without something sweet. I made my mom's favorite dessert, an apple pie without the bottom crust. I got the recipe from Kraft Foods online, and here it is! I like it simple, so I buy refrigerated pie crusts.

Filling:
6 Cups of thinly sliced, peeled apples (I didn't think this was quite enough so pile it high!)
3/4 Cup of sugar
2T all purpose flour
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1T lemon juice

1. Preheat the oven at 425 degrees. Firmly press 1 9 inch pie crust in ungreased pie plate. Poke the crust a couple of times using a fork.
2. Mix filling ingredients; spoon into crust; top with second crust; wrap excess crust under bottom crust edge; flute; cut slits into top of crust (I attempted to write "mom" with mine)
3 Bake 40 - 45 minutes; cover crust the first 15 to 20 minutes
4. Cool on cooling rack for 2 hours before serving.

And because putting aluminum foil around a round pie crust frustrates me, I finally got a pie crust shield last Christmas. Here is a picture. Money well spent. (I got this picture of Pampered Chef's website. Obviously my pie was not this pretty. ha!)
Pictures from our fun day









post signature

Comments

  1. Ok, I'm all subscribed now! Happy birthday to Dalma and the pie looks great. I sneak and buy storebought crusts sometimes too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Magdalena Grace Roberts

This morning Magdalena left this world to be with Jesus. There really isn't too much else I can say but to please pray for Julie and Noah. For now, they do not want any calls, emails or visits. I will you keep you updated on the arrangements.

Hello World!!

Here are my first pictures! Julie is on her way to the room and doing great. As we have more pictures, I will get them up for you to see. Stephen

Making the Decision to Not Make the Decision

I get the question, "Are you going to have any more kids?" asked often. Since finding out Magdalena's diagnosis it was always a tough question to answer. We had always envisioned ourselves with multiple children, but there was always the lingering thought of having to endure this difficult situation again. Although it is less than a one percent chance that we would have another child with T18, the percentage still exists. When pregnant, I said multiple times that I couldn't do this again and my mom constantly reminded me that it is not always that difficult. Being pregnant was physically uncomfortable, but I was referring to the constant emotional exhaustion. As Magdalena continued to do well, Noah and I weren't sure when to begin thinking about other children. Noah and I discussed that I would work really hard at losing my weight, but I was willing to be five pounds more than what I was originally. People poked fun at my not eating Magdalena's birthday cakes