Skip to main content

The Rabbit Hole Reviewed

The Rabbit Hole was recently released, and since that week I have considered reviewing it. This was something that I had to do alone. Before Noah left we went to the grocery store together, which was the first time in a VERY long time that we have been able to go together. One of our favorite things to do as newlyweds was to go grocery shopping together. While there shopping Noah was renting a movie on red box for me, and it was at that moment we decided that I would watch it tonight. I was pleasantly surprised with the fact that it wasn't focused in on the death of the child. I don't think my heart could have handled that tonight. The theme of the movie was that everyone deals with grief differently, and in The Rabbit Hole you see a few versions of what could happen. I didn't think that the movie was entertaining in a sense that it is a "must see" movie, but it was so well done that I would recommend it to everyone. Even if you are the closest friend of someone who has lost a child, you don't know all that happens in the heart and mind. What I loved most was that they showed a couple who in the end decided to fight to remain together in the midst of the unbearable pain. Instead of succumbing to their emotions, they realize that the person that they love most on this earth is in pain too, and they work to help each other deal with their grief, even if it is different from their own.

As the following scene was happening I knew that I would share it because it so accurately describes how the intense pain in the heart of a parent changes over time, but it never goes away. Recently there was a birthday full of dresses and tea where a bunch of little girls excitedly awaited the celebration of their friend, and before I knew it my pain was brought to the front of my heart. It isn't something that can be avoided because it is "always in my pocket".

Becca (Nicole Kidman) had a son who died because he ran in the middle of the road while chasing after his dog, and her mother, Becca's brother, died of drug overdose. Their relationship is tense because Becca does not like that her mother compares their pain as being equal when the deaths were so different, but here as she has packed away of the of her son's things she initiates this discussion.

Becca : Does it ever go away?

Nat: No, I don't think it does. Not for me, it hasn't - has gone on for eleven years. But it changes though.
Becca: How?
Nat: I don't know... the weight of it, I guess. At some point, it becomes bearable. It turns into something that you can crawl out from under and... carry around like a brick in your pocket. And you... you even forget it, for a while. But then you reach in for whatever reason and - there it is. Oh right, that. Which could be aweful - not all the time. It's kinda...
[deep breath]
Nat: not that you'd like it exactly, but it's what you've got instead of your son. So, you carry it around. And uh... it doesn't go away. Which is...
Becca: Which is what?
Nat: Fine, actually.


The movie ends by showing the couple's first step together in the grieving process, but it shows no more. I am not surprised because the hope in the death is Jesus, so it would be even harder for a person who lacks the hope in Christ to grieve. "Do not grieve as others do who have no hope." 1 Thessalonians 4:13 God doesn't say that was should not grieve..meaning don't cry or be unhappy with the situation. He tells us that we are to grieve with the hope, hope of all that God has promised us.

My brick is not only full of sorrow but of sweet reminders of God's promises.

post signature

Comments

  1. Thank you for this review. It brought tears to my eyes so I know the movie would be informative and touch many in big ways. I would like to see it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, that was Katie who left the comment, not Daniel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimberly Pinckney11:33 AM

    I had no idea you saw the movie. I completely agree with the points you make. The scene where she's packing things up was huge for me, too. And I agree, not a must-see movie for everyone, but it has its place for sure. The acting was really good, and a huge range of emotion was very clearly (and I think accurately) portrayed. The scene at the bowling alley where she goes off on her mom gave me chills, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Magdalena Grace Roberts

This morning Magdalena left this world to be with Jesus. There really isn't too much else I can say but to please pray for Julie and Noah. For now, they do not want any calls, emails or visits. I will you keep you updated on the arrangements.

Hello World!!

Here are my first pictures! Julie is on her way to the room and doing great. As we have more pictures, I will get them up for you to see. Stephen

Making the Decision to Not Make the Decision

I get the question, "Are you going to have any more kids?" asked often. Since finding out Magdalena's diagnosis it was always a tough question to answer. We had always envisioned ourselves with multiple children, but there was always the lingering thought of having to endure this difficult situation again. Although it is less than a one percent chance that we would have another child with T18, the percentage still exists. When pregnant, I said multiple times that I couldn't do this again and my mom constantly reminded me that it is not always that difficult. Being pregnant was physically uncomfortable, but I was referring to the constant emotional exhaustion. As Magdalena continued to do well, Noah and I weren't sure when to begin thinking about other children. Noah and I discussed that I would work really hard at losing my weight, but I was willing to be five pounds more than what I was originally. People poked fun at my not eating Magdalena's birthday cakes