Skip to main content

A Little Reading

I have a tendency to read multiple books at one time, but I always finish all of them. To me, not finishing a book is like leaving a friend waiting for you in a restaurant never to really come. I love to read, and my parents always encouraged it by giving me books. Here are the books that I began in the last month and finished over this past weekend.

Mockingbirdfirst.JPG

This was my second time to read To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, and it won't be my last. It is probably my second most favorite book below Wuthering Heights. It is a story of strong, noble character in a time when ignorance about race was popular, and you see the truth as it exists through the eyes of a child. Here are a few quotes and sections of the book that are worth pointing out.

"The world's endin', Atticus! Please do something--!" I dragged him to the window and pointed. "No it's not, he (Atticus) said. "It's snowing."

"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

"It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do."


ColdComfortFarm.jpg

This book came recommended to me by a friend, and I was not disappointed. It was a short, light hearted book that was quite funny.


Honestly, I was torn to even admit that I "read" this book because I had so many negative feelings about it. However, in the end I obviously decided to tell you. Before I did, I did a little Google research to find out what other everyday people had to say about the book, and although for not the same reasons, they agreed that it was a terrible book. I read the first tad bit of Prep hoping that something would improve, and then, after one particular scene, I flipped to the end and read one of the last paragraphs. (It bothers me to not finish books.) This book took every small aspect of life that I hold to be sacred, and threw it in the garbage, took it out again to put on a stick and show everyone proudly. Reading secular fiction can be good for the mind, and so much can be learned from it, but I would not consider this to be one of those books.

post signature

Comments

  1. Our literary choices are very similar, Julie! Loved this post.

    I totally identify with your comment about hating to not finish books. I have slowly learned over the years, it is totally OKAY to not finish a book that looks like it won't be redeeming itself. Why waste time on it? Still, it's very, very hard...

    It's a lot easier to turn off or walk out of a movie. Just not sure why. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Magdalena Grace Roberts

This morning Magdalena left this world to be with Jesus. There really isn't too much else I can say but to please pray for Julie and Noah. For now, they do not want any calls, emails or visits. I will you keep you updated on the arrangements.

Making the Decision to Not Make the Decision

I get the question, "Are you going to have any more kids?" asked often. Since finding out Magdalena's diagnosis it was always a tough question to answer. We had always envisioned ourselves with multiple children, but there was always the lingering thought of having to endure this difficult situation again. Although it is less than a one percent chance that we would have another child with T18, the percentage still exists. When pregnant, I said multiple times that I couldn't do this again and my mom constantly reminded me that it is not always that difficult. Being pregnant was physically uncomfortable, but I was referring to the constant emotional exhaustion. As Magdalena continued to do well, Noah and I weren't sure when to begin thinking about other children. Noah and I discussed that I would work really hard at losing my weight, but I was willing to be five pounds more than what I was originally. People poked fun at my not eating Magdalena's birthday cakes