Skip to main content

The Oatmeal I Finally Made

If you have been hanging in there with me and my life over the past few years, you may remember me writing about an expensive vanilla bean.  It was required for a recipe that I was wanting to make, but I decided against it when I went to buy one and it was VERY pricy!  Well, my sweet friend found one at T.J. Maxx, and after many months of having it, I finally made my recipe!  It was delicious, so I thought that I would share it.  However, be aware that vanilla beans are expensive, but there is hope of finding one in the most unexpected places!

Caramel Apple Oatmeal 
by: Southern Living at Home

3 cups of uncooked regular oats
1 cup chopped dried apples
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 vanilla bean, split
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 cups milk
3 cups apple cider
3 tablespoons butter, divided
1 cup raisins

Combine first 8 ingredients and 2 tablespoons butter in a 3 1/2 quart slow cooker.
Cover and cook on LOW 3 to 4 hours or until thickened.
Remove vanilla bean; scrape seeds from inside of bean, discarding bean.  Stirs vanilla seeds, remaining 1 tablespoon butter, and raisins into oatmeal.  Serve warm.

This oatmeal reheats well in the microwave if you want to prepare it the night before.  It also keeps up to 3 days in the fridge.
post signature

Comments

  1. I'm going to go to TJ Maxx until I find a vanilla bean then make this. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can order vanilla beans from online sources and they're much cheaper than in the store. My husband does this all the time.

    He also makes vanilla extract for us. He buys Madagascar vanilla beans and good-quality vodka in a glass bottle. Slit about 20 vanilla beans lengthwise (not cut in half - just a slit) and put them in the vodka for 2 months. Turn it upside down and back again every 2 weeks or so. At the end of 2 months you'll have to filter it through coffee filters to remove the sediment, and then you can either return it to the vodka bottle or pour it into smaller bottles. We've given it as gifts at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Magdalena Grace Roberts

This morning Magdalena left this world to be with Jesus. There really isn't too much else I can say but to please pray for Julie and Noah. For now, they do not want any calls, emails or visits. I will you keep you updated on the arrangements.

Making the Decision to Not Make the Decision

I get the question, "Are you going to have any more kids?" asked often. Since finding out Magdalena's diagnosis it was always a tough question to answer. We had always envisioned ourselves with multiple children, but there was always the lingering thought of having to endure this difficult situation again. Although it is less than a one percent chance that we would have another child with T18, the percentage still exists. When pregnant, I said multiple times that I couldn't do this again and my mom constantly reminded me that it is not always that difficult. Being pregnant was physically uncomfortable, but I was referring to the constant emotional exhaustion. As Magdalena continued to do well, Noah and I weren't sure when to begin thinking about other children. Noah and I discussed that I would work really hard at losing my weight, but I was willing to be five pounds more than what I was originally. People poked fun at my not eating Magdalena's birthday cakes

Hello World!!

Here are my first pictures! Julie is on her way to the room and doing great. As we have more pictures, I will get them up for you to see. Stephen