Skip to main content

Difficult Parenting

My little man is learning that he can go against us.  It used to be fun for him to obey, but now, he is testing out his power.  Instructing Walt is one of the most difficult things that I have ever had to do.  I am praying that God continues to mold me into being a better parent each day so that through his good days and ones full of sin, Walt can see me glorify God through my response to his behavior.  Noah is steady as a stream, but sometimes my angry can flare up faster than a forest fire.  Over the past five years God has done lots of work in my heart so that I communicate my frustrations more effectively instead of just getting mad.  Now, I am praying that God will allow me to communicate better to Walt his sin calmly so that he can make a rational choice, and if he makes the wrong one, he understands what his punishment will be.  Yet, at the same time, I have learned something VERY wise from my neighbor, which I have been pondering over the last week.  Sometimes Walt is being a kid and in his innocence doesn't understand that he is disobeying, and sometimes he does know it and chooses to do wrong to test out his limitations.  So basically in the five seconds following the act I have to make a decision on which of the two it was and how I will respond to it!  This is overwhelming!  Please pray that I have good discernment!  This stage has arrived before I realize it, and it reminds me of my need for Jesus. 
post signature

Comments

  1. Julie, Thank you so much for commenting on Annabel's site. For a while now I have been feeling flat and therefore the blog reflects it. I had lost track of several blogs when my computer crashed and am so glad you commented so I can save the address. Walt is beautiful and growing so much. Magdalena, so sweet and precious just like her name. I don't know how one can become so attached when one has never met. Your pain to me was so much that I sometime questioned God! Really I know better but you pain was too much for someone like me to witness. Thank you for continuing to blog and I will be back. I siged up my email address so I can get notices when you update. I hope I did it right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, you are at the beginning of such a long, joyous, challenging, transforming road. I have realized how much God reveals to me my sin in the reactions or expectations I have to my childrens' sin. It is so hard, but God made Walt YOUR son because of His perfect will. He gave Walt the mom and dad that could raise him the best way for God's glory. Continue to rely on grace. That will see you through...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Parenting is definitely the most challenging but also the most rewarding job ever. I believe God allows us to be parents because it helps us to grow and also for a glimpse of His love for us.

    You and Noah are great parents, Julie and your love will cover the mistakes you unwittingly make. Prayer is your very best tool while fine tuning your sweet son.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Magdalena Grace Roberts

This morning Magdalena left this world to be with Jesus. There really isn't too much else I can say but to please pray for Julie and Noah. For now, they do not want any calls, emails or visits. I will you keep you updated on the arrangements.

Hello World!!

Here are my first pictures! Julie is on her way to the room and doing great. As we have more pictures, I will get them up for you to see. Stephen

Making the Decision to Not Make the Decision

I get the question, "Are you going to have any more kids?" asked often. Since finding out Magdalena's diagnosis it was always a tough question to answer. We had always envisioned ourselves with multiple children, but there was always the lingering thought of having to endure this difficult situation again. Although it is less than a one percent chance that we would have another child with T18, the percentage still exists. When pregnant, I said multiple times that I couldn't do this again and my mom constantly reminded me that it is not always that difficult. Being pregnant was physically uncomfortable, but I was referring to the constant emotional exhaustion. As Magdalena continued to do well, Noah and I weren't sure when to begin thinking about other children. Noah and I discussed that I would work really hard at losing my weight, but I was willing to be five pounds more than what I was originally. People poked fun at my not eating Magdalena's birthday cakes