Skip to main content

Sufferers - Week 5

God offers compassion to those of us who are suffering. If you had said that to me while I was having to say goodbye to Magdalena, I am not sure if I would have agreed with the word compassion because my heart was torn into pieces, but I am truly learning that God knows much more than I do. He sees things on a grander scale than I could ever imagine. I am going to be quoting Nancy directly a lot during this chapter because I don't want anything missed when these are such sweet reminders of how truly awesome our God is.

"Worshiping God does not require that we understand or approve of what God has allowed into our lives; it simply requires a heart that desires to trust God and a will that is bent toward obedience to God regardless of our feelings. We worship God because he is worthy, not because we necessarily feel like it. And as we worship in the midst of our pain, we are able to gain perspective on that pain. This is a costly worship - which makes it all the more worthwhile and precious to God." (pg.34)

Job was chosen to suffer "because of his great faith". God does not cause suffering. It is the sin in this world, but He does allow it to happen. In the midst of this suffering God "remembers His promises to you". He is compassionate. Do you doubt this because you think that if He were he would not have cause you to suffer? Compassion does not mean that God is going to fix every situation as though we think it should be. Nancy gives us John the Baptist as an example of this.
"I assure you, of all who have ever lived, none is greater than John the Baptist." - Matthew 11:11
"And yet when Jesus says this, John the Baptist is languishing in prison as a result of his prophetic ministry and bold calls for repentance."

By basking in God's presence you will truly be able to see God's grace in your life in the midst of your suffering. I know that this is true for me. I have had many times of anger, but when I truly recognize God's presence I am given peace and joy.
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
"It (God's grace) is enough to generate joy in the midst of great sorrow. It is enough to help you endure the loneliness of your bed and the reminders of loss everywhere you turn. It is enough to enable you to continue believing that God is good and he loves you."

My prayer for all of us is a combination of all that Nancy asks us to pray for this week. I pray that we will be open with God in our pain so that we may truly come in His presence. I pray that we will come to recognize His grace in the middle of our sufferings, feel His compassion in the midst of our sufferings, and to allow peace in our lives instead of doubting God.

Comments

  1. your blog, your testimony of God's grace, and sharing your thoughts and notes from your study have been a blessing to me. Thank you for sharing.
    Delane

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Magdalena Grace Roberts

This morning Magdalena left this world to be with Jesus. There really isn't too much else I can say but to please pray for Julie and Noah. For now, they do not want any calls, emails or visits. I will you keep you updated on the arrangements.

Making the Decision to Not Make the Decision

I get the question, "Are you going to have any more kids?" asked often. Since finding out Magdalena's diagnosis it was always a tough question to answer. We had always envisioned ourselves with multiple children, but there was always the lingering thought of having to endure this difficult situation again. Although it is less than a one percent chance that we would have another child with T18, the percentage still exists. When pregnant, I said multiple times that I couldn't do this again and my mom constantly reminded me that it is not always that difficult. Being pregnant was physically uncomfortable, but I was referring to the constant emotional exhaustion. As Magdalena continued to do well, Noah and I weren't sure when to begin thinking about other children. Noah and I discussed that I would work really hard at losing my weight, but I was willing to be five pounds more than what I was originally. People poked fun at my not eating Magdalena's birthday cakes